Monday, December 14, 2009

Mark Wallace US Meetup Tour by Pocket Wizard hits Pier59 studios.

When I heard news that Pocketwizard has released their Flex mini TT1 and Flex TT5, I was intrigued by what these little devices can do. Not only you can shoot at shutter speeds of 1/8000 of a sec, it also does e-TTL communicated via radio, no more line of sight issues. Unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed with the outcome I was getting. Misfires, over exposure, under exposure, etc. I was not a happy camper.

Then I heard that Mark Wallace from snapfactory.com has partnered with Pocketwizard to promote the enhancements and finally resolved the range issues, over and under exposures, etc. that a lot of photographer has been complaining. As it turned out, some Canon flashes were emitting noise that interferes with the communication between the mini TT1 and flex TT5. Instead of pointing the blame to Canon Flashes' RF noise, they developed a sock (yes you read it right, "socks") and called it AC5 soft shield. These socks blocks the RF noise coming out of Canon's flashes. I said to myself, please let there be a stop in Los Angeles. I guess Pocketwizard heard me. Not only they are giving an AC5 soft shield for free, Mark Wallace will be hosting a workshop on lighting and demonstrate the two devices. To add icing to the cake, there will be Models as well. What else could you ask for.

With the AC5 soft shield on the Canon Flashes, Pocketwizard has resolved the range and other issues that you might have read or heard with the AC5 soft shield. With the addition of the optimized hypersync speed and configurable rear curtain sync, getting one is a no brainer.

As always, Mark Wallace workshop is very informative. He explains characteristics of light, direction of light, e-TTL, speed sync etc.. etc.. without that assumption that all attendees are armed with this knowledge already.


Here's Mark Wallace in action:








Here are some photos of models I took. These photos were shot in e-TTL mode.

580 EX II (TTL Mode) with flex TT5 on camera right bounced thru an umbrella trigerred by mini TT1
Shot @ 1/60 - f4



Bare 580 EX II (TTL mode) with flex TT5 on camera left trigerred by mini TT1
Shot @ 1/125 - f4

No comments:

Post a Comment